I live with a health nut. Okay, he's not a true health freak...I mean, he still loves a good apple pie with ice cream, or a big bag of chips while watching a movie.
But the other day he came home with tofu. TOFU! Isn't tofu for people who have dread locks and wear Birkenstocks with wool socks? (Oh wait, I think I've done that..) Every time I've tasted tofu in the past I hated it, but I thought I would give it a chance. He fried it up and put it in a stir-fry. It was bearable, but less than desirable. Anyway, I realize that it is cheaper and much healthier than meat, so I'll give it a go. Is it bad to deep fry tofu? Kind of defeats the purpose, no??? The kids hated it, so I'm trying to think of other ways to cook it. I got a book from the library called This Can't Be Tofu! but it looks a little too gourmet for me (I don't recognize some of the ingredients).
I should tell you that the reason behind the whole tofu thing was that my husband also thinks that we should only eat meat 2-3 times a week. Funny thing - I didn't think I was that attached to meat, but now that I'm trying to think vegan, it's pretty hard. We only had meat twice last week (I think...) but now I'm running out of ideas.
Send me your vegetarian recipes, folks!
I gotta go find me some steak...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
we really enjoy this recipe. Don't panic if you try it and the peppers look burt. It really taste great.
Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna
4 med sweet red peppers
9 lasagna noodles
4 garlic cloves minced
1 t olive oil
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
2 T minced fresh parsley
1t sugar
1 t dried basil
1/2 t pepper
1/4 C butter
1/3 C flour
1/2 t salt
2-1/2 C milk
1 C Shredded Parmesan Cheese
1)Cut each pepper into quarters. Place peppers cut side down, on a foil lined baking sheet. broil 4" from the heat for 20-25min, or until skin is blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl ; cover and let stand for 15-20 min. Peel off and discard skin. Cut pepper into 1/4 in strips.
2)cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, drain. Make a white sauce with butter,salt, flour and milk. add parmesan cheese.
3) make a meatless sauce with roasted red peppers,garlic , tomatoes, parsley, sugar, basil, and pepper. assemble your lasagna. bake at 350 for 30 min. you can sprinkle with parmesian cheese or you can use mozzarella cheese. enjoy.
Have you ever used Quinoa? I just discovered it. It's a grain that looks a little like barley and can be used in place of rice or other grains but it's a complete protein. I've got lots of vegetarian recipes that call for it. I'm making black beans and quinoa for suupper tonight. . .I'll let you know how it goes.
The Moosewood Restaurant Low-fat Favorites cookbook has some good recipes, like Middle Eastern Tofu-stuffed Peppers. The library probably has a copy. There are a lot of other good non-meat recipes in there without tofu, too. I know more non-meat recipes but for some reason I can't think of any right now. My brain is running over the lists of things I have to remember before heading your way!!
Oh, and this website:
http://www.101cookbooks.com/
I've only tried a couple of recipes off of here, but the pictures sure make everything look good! They have vegetarian and vegan categories.
I make a tofu/spinach lasagne that we really like. (The boys even like it!) I'll send it to you when I have an extra minute (like next year!) Or just call me if you really need it before I send it. :-)
You can buy tofu with herbs in it. I use to buy it and put it in my salad. I sometimes will buy the regular stuff and put it in pasta and spaghetti sauce for Scotty. I don't really mind the taste of it, and actually would like to eat it more often.
sounds like my husband, except he hasn't bought tofu just yet. spinach pesto lasagna (nisly book and on the blog) is really, really good. or lentil soup with plain yogurt is really good too.
Wow, I'm all about eating healthy, but I'm not sure I'm ready for tofu. Maybe I'll have to try some.
Hi Robyn,
Just found your blog, along with all the rest of your Candian ladies, and have enjoyed catching up with your life. Twila and I were just talking about you this week as she had a picture of your very lovely family. You are an incredible woman to keep a great blog and have a houseful of young ladies. We've got 2 kids for now, but probably not for long. Jackson is 3 and Alana is 1. Sorry we just have a boring business blog. I guess I should figure this whole blogging thing out. It's been fun to stop by and read your last year of life. Aunt Twila is leading a Beth Moore study 'Believing God' to some of us mothers of young children. It's been amazing, just thought I'd echo your shout out to Beth. What a lady. Take care and I might have to stop by more often.
Jodi Gehman (miller)
ps I'm assuming your not really in Georgia?
Okay I was proofing what I wrote and we are not going to loose our children, just add to our family. Okay, just wanted to clear the air there.
Here's a meatless recipe - open box, pour cereal followed by milk, eat and enjoy.
Jody - funny stuff! Glad you're not auctioning off any of your kids any time soon.
Post a Comment