How could I forget to mention this...
I am now the proud owner of a Nutrimill Grain Mill. I'm so happy! :-) I am waiting on some wheat and possibly other grains (through a friend of a friend who just has those connections), and then I will be baking up a storm. I can't wait to try all the possibilities. One thing I'm so excited to try is grinding popcorn to make the ultimate (so I'm told) cornbread.
Any of you have a similar grain mill? What do you like to grind? What recipes do you use?
I'd love to hear from you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
wow! congrats on the mill. :) i'd love to help you experiment with it. also, i think i should come be your maid for a couple of weeks! except i may have to rest my aching back every half hour or so.
i don't have a mill. But I must admit to some unholy jealousy that you have one and I don't. I've coveted one for awhile now...ever since I ate Rachel Ramer's wonderful whole wheat pie crust. Mmmm. So much better and "nuttier" than my own. Maybe some day. I wonder if buying whole grains (wheat) is cheaper than buying flour? Do you know yet?
Let me know when you figure out how to run fast enough to catch up to everything. I need some faster shoes, too. Or 2 more hands and legs...wouldn't THAT look pretty?
I'm with Iris - jealous. I've been wanting a grain mill for about ten years. Why don't I have one yet? I'm not really sure. I guess it's just one of those things that I keep waiting on.... for a bigger workspace, and then a husband around to help mill it (or drive the child laborers at the mill!). I guess it just seemed like one more thing to ADD to my workload. So maybe now it's time. I'm going to be in a really nice kitchen AND have a husband around!
Have fun with your mill! I, too, will be interested in hearing about recipes, results, and price comparisons.
Glad to hear from you! I'd be interested in hearing more about the mill, and seeing pictures of it.
Robyn...I saw your blog from Rhonda's so I thought I would leave you a "note" :). A few years ago I got a whisper mill and a mixer (sort of like a Bosch). I LOVE the bread that it makes. I have hardly bought bread since then. . except when a hurricane was coming and I wanted a longer shelf life :) So far all I have ground is wheat, but my cousin has done popcorn and a few other grains, and even some dried beans. I grind hard wheat for bread (I think it has a higher gluten content), and the soft wheat for non-yeast things. Here is a web site that you can order stuff from, and they have recipes on there too (I think) www.breadbeckers.com. Enjoy your mill!!!! Janice
This is just too much! I'm sewing you a jumper and sending it to you asap. You go with your bad self!!
Herein lies my problem (re: your comment on my blog)..... I have tended toward the non-electric variety in my quest to minimize electronic devices in anticipation of one day building an off-the-grid home. Anyway.... I don't really think it's a problem. It just wasn't the thing for me to take up in the last little while.... but eventually. And maybe I'll go electric... who knows.
i'm coming over for fresh bread asap!just let me know when. i wish.
Post a Comment