Monday, November 17, 2008

Opinions, Please

Okay, I'm not going to post pictures of the houses we are looking at, but I will do my best to describe them, and I'd like to see what you'd vote.

House A:
-lots of square footage (around 1800), but broken up into smallish rooms
-very cozy and homey
-2 large, beautiful beach stone fireplaces
-large back yard surrounded by bush
-5 minutes to a lake
-quiet street, houses far apart, nice neighborhood
-approx. 15 minutes to nearest grocery store, about 25-30 min commute for Daryl

House B:
-not as much square footage as House A, but more updated
-ocean view (!!!)
-about 7 min to grocery stores, about 25 min commute for Daryl
-adorable cape cod windows in bedrooms, skylight windows in hall
-brand new bathroom with amazing features, but no shower or tub upstairs with bedrooms
-smallish yard, fenced in
-nice neighborhood, quiet streets (kids can ride bike, etc.)
-walking distance to ocean, hiking, etc.

Other points of interest...
-neither house has a great kitchen, which I'm rather disappointed in. Both are very functional and decent.
-neither house needs any work done to it
-I can get very excited when I picture myself in either house

Any questions?
VOTE! House A or House B?

15 comments:

rachelslab said...

So, you just flew off to the new city with your baby to go look at houses? Is that how it worked? You're amazing? That's a tough call. I dunno - I'd probably vote for 1, but 7 rather than 15 min. to the grocery store is appealing about 2.

Oh, and come visit me - it might totally redefine "not a great kitchen" for you forever.

Jennifer M said...

How much square footage are you giving up with house B? Is it just so enough or is there still plenty of space? I am sure you will make a good choice.

Anonymous said...

I vote for 2, the ocean view and walking distance to ocean would be nice when and if Daryl works and is gone lots, nice at least the back yard is fenced in dosent' have to be big eh? both sound cute happy you found something you'll like, I won't feel bad if I'm out voted. Praying for direction.
Twila H.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, maybe House A? B sounds very nice also though with the ocean & all!! Both sound great! I'm curious where you are moving to? Maybe you could message me on xanga if you think about it. :)

Rita said...

o.k., you can tell I'm getting old-(er), but no bathrooms upstairs where there are bedrooms? Really? Can't imagine potty training, which, I know won't last forever. But, anyway, I'm sure you'll make the best choice. Which, for your readers sake, R. told me today that she and D. will make the final choice once she's back home here and finish from a distance. The girls are all asleep and D's doing his paperwork. G'night!

Jenni said...

i think i'd have to vote for the ocean view. when do you have a chance like that?!? and closer to stores is really nice too.

way to go, house-hunter!

kirkandkarla said...

As the lone male voter (to date) I have to say house B. That's a tough decision though. If I would be you I would say that I'm on the fence and that the stone fireplaces would convince me to decide house A, but I think the ocean view (along with neighborhood, hiking, etc.) trumps the fireplaces. What a toughie... (Also, notice I said nothing about kitchens or bathrooms...I'm a dude, what can I say).

Anonymous said...

there are two things i agree with: a)you are amazing, and i now know it for a fact since i have a baby of my own (although i was pretty sure before) and b)kirk's comment. those were the exact things i was thinking while i was reading your post. well, except that i care about the kitchens and the bathrooms and i'm not a dude.

i know God will guide your decision!

Wendy Yutzy said...

i'd have to go with b. Ocean view with be peaceful on those days you can't get out with the children. Also 7 minutes is definately better than 15. I know from experience here in R L. and Madsen. um, more square footage isn't always better, as long as it's adequate.

Sabrina said...

I feel like the odd ball here, but I decided on A before reading all the comments and I still vote A. Here's why, ocean veiw is nice when the weather is nice...a bathroom on the same floor as the bedrooms seems rather nice...driving for shopping would be a pain, but it forces you to plan and do less running which is a plus... Plus D can pick stuff up when he's out. :) I also love the fireplaces and the big back yard. I'm sure you'll make the right decision! Is there room for guests at either of these house?

LaRonda said...

I don't know which one I would pick so I will just say Hi! Whatever you decide I sure hope someday I will be able to come and see you.

Matthew and Rhonda said...

hmmm. i think i'd go for A based on the yard situation. it's a tough call, though. can't wait to hear the final decision!

Anonymous said...

You got me at "bush". I think I'd go for A, but it's a really tough call without being able to see them. My boys would probably vote B - close to the ocean. It is their dream to go to the ocean... which we will do next summer when we visit you!

elise said...

I'm voting for A. Space is nice around the house and outside is very nice! An ocean view is nice but when it comes down to it, how important is it? It's just like living here, what's a five minute drive to the lake? And not having a bathroom with the bedrooms doesn't sound appealing to me. That's just my two cents! Good luck with the decision!
By the way are you all heading home for christmas?

Anonymous said...

I would say home B because it is more updated (we are not very handy around the home) and therefore likely less maintenance. As well a smaller home may be less housework.
Kim T.