Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Good Ol' Bush

Here I am in Red Lake. It is lovely. Unfortunately, the circumstances that brought me here were not. My friend's mother passed away, and I wanted to come for the funeral, and to connect with friends. I've also been planning to come spend some time at my parents' while Daryl is working crazy hours, so this was a good opportunity.

It is a beautiful time of year to be here. Well, isn't any time of year beautiful in the bush? The first night I got here, I was laying in bed "listening" to silence. And I mean perfect silence. You know, we sit on our front porch in Winnipeg on a summer evening, and we think it's quiet. Because after all, we do live on a quiet street. And you can hear sirens only once in awhile. But here, I could hear pretty much nothing. Only the call of a loon very far away, the rustling of the poplar leaves in the wind, and the last call of the day of the white throated sparrow. (The sparrow's song takes me back to being a kid, listening to it from my bedroom window.) No cars, no voices, no sirens. I was hoping that I'd somehow be inspired to write something poetic about it, but it's just not in me!

Today I got to visit with Daryl's great-Aunt. We had a nice long nap (she's in her 80's and I'm...a mom) and then a good cup of coffee. Mom grilled burgers for us and then we joined her small group for Bible study. Some things just never change. It was fun to go along and see old friends. They even made me lead a few songs, for old times' sake more than anything, I think.

I don't think I want to leave the bush...except I miss my husband a lot!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what are you trying to do? make me homesick? thanks a lot. :) really, i'm glad you can be there and that you are enjoying it so much. post some pictures, 'k?

Anonymous said...

I miss the North! Especially in the summer. Red Lake brings back so many good memories. Wish we could all go back for just one more day... Enjoy your visit!

Xiomie said...

Hi Robyn! I just wanted to say "hola".
Carol and I were laughing pretty hard of how "kinda lost" we were. At least we'll somewhat familiar with all the streets when we go back this fall. ;~)
Take care!