Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Bethlehem, Live!

Reminder to self: Never take kids on an outing alone where there will be soldiers yelling at you to hurry along and randomly grabbing people out of the crowd, King Herod going on in a very loud voice about being the ONLY KING, a busy marketplace, and countless others running wildly about, talking very loudly.
Need I say more???

Thank God, we ran into friends there, and they were able to help me with my terrified, screaming children (only the 2 littlest, thank goodness - the oldest didn't cry until she spilled her hot chocolate)! Next year will be better, when our kids are older, as it was an EXCELLENT production. It was as close to being in Bethlehem as we can get this Christmas! Baby Jesus was a real newborn, laying on the hay kicking his feet contendedly. The angels were truly angelic and brought tears to my eyes. The rabbi was old and sweet and sang a lovely Jewish song. The shepherds were indeed terrified and ran to see the Babe in the manger. The donkey, chickens, rabbits and lama gave off a sweet barnyard aroma. The leper made me cry as he rejoiced in the Savior who was promised. It really made Christmas more meaningful for me this year!

7 comments:

rachelslab said...

WOW! I wish I could have been there with you! That sounds really neat. (and I vaguely remember rescuing you from your crazy kids back when... or at least assisting you)

Robyn said...

I always say, "Seldom, if ever, doubt Rachel's memory". But what incident are you referring to? Yes, I wish you could have joined us! Maybe next year! :-)

Sabrina said...

sounds great! I'd like our church to do something like that sometime. Sorry your children were so afraid. :( So much for "peace on earth"!

P.S. are you getting my emails?

rachelslab said...

I was just referring to when I traveled with and hung out with you and your kids in Ohio for Karla's wedding. In case you forgot, you were going crazy without your hubby and I helped you out and you were grateful. = )

Rhonda said...

that does sound amazing. for some reason it made me get all teary eyed.
don't know for sure why...my old age?

hey, don't forget to blog or e-mail while you're in RL!! even just a scrap of news here and there....I'll take anything. :)

Robyn said...

Rachel, oh how I remember. I was SO glad you stayed with me that trip!!! :-) (our good talks and laughs in the "simple" house).tee hee
Rhonda, I will do my darndest to keep in touch! I'm sure we'll be calling you guys sometime while we're at mom and dad's. WE MISS YOU.

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like an incredible production. I'm sorry the kids went crazy. Let me know when you go next time, and maybe I can come up and give you a hand, eh? :o)