Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I Hate Facebook.

There. I said it.
I held out for sooooo long when all my friends were joining the madness, and now I finally gave in. And I regret it already. (No offense to those of you who pushed me over the edge - ha ha)

Okay, I do like the fact that it is getting me in touch with people...sort of.
But can anyone identify with the panicky feeling of seeing people's comments, etc. and feeling like you must join in? I mean, I had friends before, and we did just fine keeping in touch with emailing and phone calling, and now it's like I feel that if I don't check my page for 3 days, I am SERIOUSLY out of the loop. And I could spend hours (literally) catching up on things.
Honestly, it is insane. I can't stand it.

But... I can't leave now, because I have to stay in touch with the reality that this is how people are communicating "these days" (man, I feel old).
But I'm just here to say, if you really want to stay in touch with me, don't stay in touch by FB. I will keep checking my wall once in awhile, so I will get your messages. But don't expect much from me in the way of postings, photos, etc.
My feeling is, if I'm important enough to you, you will jog on over here and check out my blog, or MAYBE even give me a call or jot me an email to see how I'm doing.

Call me old fashioned... you just might be right. (Wow, even my parents were on before me)

SIGH.
I feel so much better now that I've vented.
...and I know if you're reading this, you must be a true friend, since you came all the way over here, instead of just checking my FB page.

12 comments:

angie said...

Ha ha! I hate it too. I'm back on it (as you may know), but I have pretty high privacy settings (so people have to really want to find me to find me), and have email settings to the lowest possible (I only get emails when someone sends me a personal message or writes on my wall), and all - and I mean ALL - of those little games, quizzes, "potted plants" etc. I click "IGNORE ALL" when they accumulate. Basically, I'm just on there for the people who can't seem to communicate via any other medium, to see my siblings' photos, and it does come in handy when, say, I'm heading up north and I can put a quick note saying where and when and I know that everyone will be informed (because they're all on Facebook). Oh... and I also ignore friend requests from people I barely know. (Unless I want to get to know them more... even then, will Facebook help with that?)

Some old fashioned things are just better. Over the past two years I've been trying to revive hand written letter writing and so far have found only two willing participants. (I think everyone is willing to receive.... but to write back?) Hey... wanna be pan pals? :-)

Anyway.... your PEI trip looks great! Nice pictures.

My Not-So-Empty-Nest said...

Ah yes! You have once again reminded me of the importance of human one on one relationships. I get so mad at myself when I think I have to read what everyone is writing when I should be talking to other people around me. Thanks!

Rhonda said...

the thing that bugs me is that out of my 273 friends, there are about 10 that i'm afraid i would lose touch with completely if i leave facebook. it makes me mad that 10ish people keep me from leaving. i would leave, too, because i fasted from facebook for lent and found out that i can quite easily live without it. but how can i get those people to communicate in another way? it's a trap, i tell ya. :D

don't even get me started on people asking to be my friend because they are the cousin of my rbi roommate. (ok, so that's a stretch...but not much.)

Anonymous said...

No comments for here, just happy your going to keep bloging because I love hearing,and keeping in touch with all you gals. thanks,
Twila H.

Jenni said...

yeah, i know what you mean. it's a love/hate relationship. i think i experienced that initial panic too and felt like i HAD to post picture. (one more thing on my to do list?) anyway, i've relaxed about it all and i only go on when i want to and only post once in a great while.... oh, and why haven't you asked to be my friend? :-)

Rhonda said...

ironically, ever since you posted this, i can't access FB. makes me laugh. and not even very bitterly.

:)

my word verification: werotost
"werotost if we get sucked into fb"

Sabrina said...

Amen! I've been on for several months now and I still don't get it. Keep blogging. One of these days I'll be back to bloggin too. P.S. Why aren't you my friend on fb? :)

iris said...

I'm with you, Baby. I'll read every single blog post you write!

karla said...

you're sooo old fashioned! just kidding. it is such a stupid thing, but kind of nice at the same time...it's annoying and fun all at once...i will say it's a good way to share pictures and to find people you've lost touch with. also, where else can you play wordtwist??? :)

Anonymous said...

I like facebook.
I like it because I can use it in moderation.
But my mom and my sister are a bit addicted. That's when it gets annoying.

Jenn

Kim said...

i probably shouldn't comment because i go on facebook at least once a day... i don't think i'm addicted to it, and in some ways it's quite helpful. for instance, knowing about fundraisers or announcements or... whatever. :) i understand what you're saying though. maybe you could just go on here and there and not worry about looking at everything possible? just enjoy what you can and ignore the rest. there's my two cents. :) i'll love you even if you're not a friend of facebook. :)

Anonymous said...

Robyn, I hope you are still checking for comments about Facebook, because I have been away from my computer for three weeks, and just now read what you posted, and enjoyed reading all 11 comments !
I do not apologize, and am not ashamed to admit that I do not "do" Face book!!
I am a firm believer that we have allowed technology( computers, cell phones, etc) take over way TOO MUCH of our time and our lives, period.
I have been invited to be a "friend" on FB serval times,
(did I say that right ??:); my answer still is, and I plan to keep it that way; a firm, "NO THANK YOU " !!
But I do enjoy reading your blogs, and keeping up with family and a few friends on email !! :)
And That's One Woman's Opinion :) Sondra