I need some new reading material. I am not at all up on new books, and I need some advice. I went to Amazon tonight to order some stuff and I don't even know what I want. I'm just tired of going to the library and seeing the same old garbage. I like all the "how-to" books, but I'm ready for something "meaty".
If you are reading something that is worth purchasing, would you please share?
I have some criteria:
-Books must have lots of pictures and large print. Just kidding. But I like something that's easy to read.
-I'm not into any kind of romance, be it "Christian" or otherwise.
-I'm not opposed to a good novel, but my preference is for something that will challenge my thinking.
Thanks in advance. I know there's a lot of avid readers reading this, so I'm anxious to hear from you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

20 comments:
I'd highly recommend any of the books I recently posted about on my blog. Deschooling Society isn't exactly an easy read. The writing is good... it's just because it's one of those books that the ideas are big and you almost need time to digest each chapter and then re-read it. The others are easy reading. And I'd say, all challenging.
Or you could head over to the creation.com store and get something like "By Design" by Jonathan Safarti.
Any more specific topics? Were you thinking something more specifically "Christian"?
Oh boy, oh boy. That's a tough one. Ok, here it goes. For a novel, and a classic, my favorite is Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. It's long, and somewhat meaty, but a good translation is worth several reads. Nobody brought characters to life like he did. Another phenomenal novel is Byzantium by Stephen Lawhead. I couldn't put it down both times I read it. Of course, anything by Tolkien and a good Narnia run is worth it. Just a fun read, Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. Great stream-of-consciousness book on Christian spirituality. I've read one of Anne Lamott's book and I've heard that her other ones are good. She's similar to Miller, just a better writer. Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger by Ron Sider may have outdated stats by now, but it is the most convicting book I've read in the past couple of years. And to conclude, on the meatier side, anything - and I mean anything - by N.T. Wright is worth your time. Some of it is heavy, but he's a genius. I would start with Simple Christianity, then The Challenge of Jesus, then Surprised by Hope, although the last one I think is his most significant to date. I hope that helps!
Sorry to hog the comments. I want to add, though, that these books are very much up my alley and you may not have the connection with them that I did. The novels, though, have a broad appeal.
i think you should give the lord of the rings a try. it's not quick reading, and it takes a little bit to get into it, but it is one of the best stories out there.
i also liked blue like jazz. it is a quick read, but it made me think.
hmmm. what else?
what about randy alcorn's books? he has both fiction and non-fiction. i like "Deadline", "Dominion", and "Safely Home" for the fiction side of things. (safely home is the most convicting fiction i've read, i think.) his non-fiction includes "Heaven" and "Money, Possessions and Eternity".
the book "celebration of discipline" is a good book by richard foster. very challenging. he also has one called "the freedom of simplicity" which i haven't read yet, but i want to.
in reference to kirk's comment: i think there is a new edition of rich christians. not sure how new, but newer than the original.
have you read c.s. lewis' non-fiction? the screwtape letters is a good one.
"end of the spear" by steve saint is a good one. lots of real-life honesty about cross-cultural issues.
one of my all-time favourite fiction books is "grapes of wrath". depressing, but very interesting and well-written.
a good place to look for good books is in the upper-grades of the sonlight catalog. i always order 5-10 new books for myself when i do my order for the kids.
i'll keep thinking.
let me know what you end up getting. :)
rhonda mentioned c.s. lewis and it reminded me of "mere christianity". it's excellent; you could give that a try. :)
Hey Robyn, Emily (Weaver) Wiebe here, The Irresistable Revolution by Shane Claiborne is an amazing read. I highly recommend it. He's a little radical but very challenging on the social justice issues. Also any books by Tom Davis. Kevin (my husband) and I had the opportunity to interview both of these guys and were challenged by what they have to say. If you're into controversy The Shack is interesting as well.
Wow...you guys all sound so smart.
I haven't heard of any of these books. I can't remember the last time a read a book.
sorry robyn, no suggestions from me. ha ha!
Jenn W
Robyn, The first book that came to my mind that has impacted me as a woman, is "Captivating ", by John and Stasi Elredge.
I would like to re read it sometime. It was a very inspiring, encouraging book for me a couple years ago.
"The Dance of Anger, A Woman's Guide to Changing the Patterns of Intimate Relationships," by Harriet Lerner,PhD. And it is not necessiarly, about marriage relationships, but all relationships !
It is not written by a Christian author, but it was recommended to me as a powerful, informative book. I learned some life changing things from that book.
I'd love to hear what you will be reading next, after ALL your suggestions !! :) HAppy reading, Sondra
Two books by C. J. Mahaney I'd recommend - "The Cross Centered Life"
"Living the Cross Centered Life". He has several other books, but I haven't read them yet.
Happy reading. Doris
This is great! I love it. I went to the library yesterday and found that after their renovations, they have quite a large religious/non-fiction section. I picked up a huge stack of books, but I have to start with "the Shack" since it's a rapid read (only have it for a week with no renewals).
Jenn!!! Read with me! Let's challenge our brains! :-) I'm not as big of a reader as I'd like to be, but sometimes my brain just feels like mush and I know it's time for some mental stimulation!
I will let you know how the books are. Thanks for all your help, everyone! Keep the suggestions coming.
Angie, no, I'm not thinking specifically "Christian" books. I know you won't suggest crap :-)
I started a book called "Same Kind of Different as Me" - it's a true story and so far really good. Not as mentally challenging but deals with some heavy issues. I'd like to finish it. I also started the Shack, and I'd like to read "Sacred Influence" but haven't started that one yet.
I challenge my brain every day at work. Sometimes I go home and my brain is tired.
I can only find 5 minutes a day to read, so that will have to be my bible.
If you find a book that you think i would like, let me know.
that last comment was Jenn. Forgot to sign my name to it.
Robyn,
Kerry and I have been reading some books that have been really great. They are Brother Andrew books. I got them on Half.com. The titles are. 'Secret Believers.' (about our brothers and sisters in Muslim countries) and 'Light Force' (a stirring account of the church caught in the middle east crossfire) Hope thats helpful
Healing Waters and Healing Stones by Stephen Arterburn
Have you ever thought of joinging a book club? maybe you should pick a book that you're going to read and then tell the rest of us so we can join you.
Guess I'm behind the times. Oh to have a moment of quiet without a needy teenager around....and a bit less demanding schedule now and again....oh well.
I did read The Shack and really liked it. Also, Blue Like Jazz and, quite a long time ago, I read the one
Jennifer mentioned,Light Force. That was really good to look at "the other side of the coin".
One I'd recommend to everyone is, The Grace Walk by Steve McVey. Oh, and get the workbook to go with it! I'm really enjoying that one right now with our ladies S.S. class.
I was going to come back and recommend "Captivating" by John and Staci Elredge, but someone beat me to it! It's excellent, and they're sincere. While interviewing Staci, I was touched and could tell that she was a very real person!
Hi Robyn-
I've been reading a very good book called "Why We are Not Emergent (by two guys who should be)" by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck. I'd highly recommend that to anyone who has interest or exposure to the emergent church movement. (Several of the authors--Lamott and Miller--that Kirk recommended are considered emergent by DeYoung and Kluck.)
I recently read a book called "Homestead" by Jane Kirkpatrick. It was an interesting memoir of her and her husband's efforts to build a ranch way out in the sticks of Oregon. Another book I just finished was "Escape" by Carolyn Jessup (about her flight from the FLDS cult). It was raw and not "feel good" reading, but it was eye-opening.
I'm working at Black Bear Lodge this summer and have lots of time to read so I was very interested in the comments you received. =)
So interesting, Kendra...I'm halfway through "Escape"! I grabbed it the other day at the library and I can't put it down. You're right, not a "feel good" book, but definately worth the read. Amazing story.
Post a Comment