What kinds of celebrations are you taking part in this holiday season?
What kinds of things do you do with your kids/families that are meaningful?
How do you remember others that are less fortunate than you?
What kind of baking are you doing?
I want to know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
i think i might answer this on my blog sometime soon since it could get lengthy. i'll just say for now that i'm trying to shorten my wish list for baking, too. boo hoo.
thanks for the updates! Sorry about the coffee deal, I am with you there! I don't understand this, but Nathan seems to mind it even when I have decaf. Sometimes I just drink it and know that I'm going to have to deal with a fussy baby. I really miss it!
Instead of making a bunch of different cookies this year, I'm going to make bars. I've been seeing a lot of bar recipes that look great. They won't look as nice, but it will cut down on the baking time.
I really want to do some special things this year, but so far we haven't done much. We missed all the local parades. :( We don't have may "traditions" of our own yet so I'm anxious to see how other people answer this question.
Celebrations:
-quiet Christmas with in-laws/brothers in law
-post Christmas pot luck/bonfire with my side of the family at Mom's
-throwing a party for Grae on the 31st since it's always "New Year" and not his b-day.... it is strictly a b-day party... and of course... everyone is welcome to stay long enough to bring in the new year or leave to a better bash
Meaningful:
-Hmmm.... just being together... having my husband home... that's meaningful
-If you want a book that would fit well with the season (for kids), I highly recommend "The Lamb" by John Cross
http://www.goodseed.com/store/us/products/lamb/lamb_english_book.aspx
Helping Others:
http://www.gfa.org/resources-for-dalits
Animals for Dalit families
Nothing more hands-on as my hands seem to be REALLY full and busy these days!
Baking:
- Zach started out with this shortbread recipe today
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Holiday-Shortbread-Cookies/Detail.aspx
very yummy!
I'm sure we'll do:
sugar cookies
gingerbread cookies
And I really want to make rum balls because Graeme loves them. (also want to create a goat dairy version so I can eat some too!)
Oooops, some of those links are cut off. I'll try it a little differently.
The Lamb book:
http://www.goodseed.com/store/
us/products/lamb/lamb_english_
book.aspx
The cookies:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/
Holiday-Shortbread-Cookies/
Detail.aspx
A couple more things....
I'm encouraging the kids to make hand-made gifts for the few gifts we will be giving. I'd really like to plan ahead next year and make hand-made gifts for everyone from me too.
Yes, the Lamb is an excellent book...reminds me we should pick it up and read again.
Here is a new tradition we are going to try this year. Put your kids to bed like normal and then about 1hr. or 1/2 hr. after they are sleeping wake them up and tell them that we are going to go drive around and look at Christmas lights in their pajamas. Make hot chocolate and popcorn to take along. A friend of mine did this last year and she said that her kids are asking if they are going to do it again this year. The fun part about it is they don't know what night it will happen, hopefull it won't keep them from falling asleep every night :)
Friday night we plan to go around to some of our neighbors and take little gifts of trail bologna and cheese and an invitation to our church Christmas banquet. We have done gifts for our neighbors the last several years and the kids had a fun time doing that. We bundle them all up and put them in the wagon and walk around. It is so much fun especially when it is snowing. This year we have new neighbors so it will be a great way to meet some of them.
I guess I am like Rhonda this is going to get to lengthy so I better stop.
I suspected you might already know about that book, since I know you have "firm foundations".
Too bad we can't make donuts together with all this snow! Did you make them?
Post a Comment