I just want to share a sad story.
Yesterday Daryl and I were craving shawarma or donairs or something of that sort. So after church, we decided to try this place close to our house. They were the worst donairs I have ever eaten. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't particularly care for half a cup of cold, watery vanilla pudding poured over my meat.
Believe me, next time I will drive the extra 2 km to go the place that actually has the words "Lebanese" on the sign.
Sympathy, please.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
what are donairs? I don't know what they are, but I'll still be sad for you. :)
Oh wow, that is so utterly utterly sad. Hope you didn't pay too much for them!
By the way, I love to read your blog. I don't comment much (or ever) but that post about the donairs just made me feel pity on you so I had to speak up. I'm still trying to figure out the "vanilla pudding" part of it. Was that supposed to be yogurt or what? Hope you have better luck at the next place.
that is so disgusting i can't even believe it. you should have taken them back from whence they came. also, thanks for the last post too!
I would demand a formal apology from the restaurant
Jose
I'm not exactly sure what the white stuff was on the donairs. I don't think it was yogurt. Truly, it was like watery pudding that I couldn't even stomach. It was so sweet it tasted like it should be poured over cake. And to make it worse, there was only little tiny tomatoes and a few tiny onions. Sigh. What a waste of money. Thank you all for your sympathy.
you didn't tell Sabrina what they are! please do, so i don't have to ask:D
well, after i commented i googled "donairs", and whadda ya know? first it was listed as a Halifax delicacy described basically as meatloaf with some other stuff. then on the side i saw Lebanese donairs, and wondered if that isn't more what you were craved.
I can sympathize for you! There's nothing like a sharma or a donair! There were a few places in Ottawa I would go to regularly and I sure crave them when I think about it.
hmmm.... I've had shwarma before but not the pudding things. Sounds pretty gross. When in Israel, I didn't even shwarma that much because I always found the falafel more appealing. mmmmmm.... we can get that really cheap here but it's not as good as the real thing or what I had in Amsterdam. bla bla bla... thanks for your posts. = )
Would you believe, we have a REAL Lebanese restaurant in Sioux Lookout! They have delicious food, with no watery pudding poured over it! My word verification is "weepi." See,I really am sympathizing with you! :)
yeah what are DONAIR'S????? I don't get it.... Yeah I feel sorry for u!! miss ya!!
Thats me too....wondering what either of them are. Do you think I could find a recipe on line to make them at home? Last I checked there are no Lebanese cooks in PH.
Okay, a donair or shawarma is a thick, warm pita, with spiced meat (chicken, beef or lamb), garlic sauce, hot sauce, pickled wild cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes and onion. I think that's it. Is your mouth watering yet? I think the only difference between the two is the spices and cut of meat. I saw one recipe online that said to use meatloaf. DO NOT TRY THAT. That is NOT what it's like. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks that a real shawarma is that pitiful excuse for one that we ate last weekend.
i'm late to comment, but this is very sad indeed. i can't even imagine how disgusting shwarma or donairs would be with pudding on them. but talking about it does make me hungry for that little place by your house in wpg.
I'm even later than Kim in commenting...but better late than never, right? =) I do send you my sincerest sympathies on not getting to eat exactly what you were hoping for. I've also been craving a donar or sufllage (Albanian)which sounds very much like what you described. But alas...no such food in good ol' Red Lake.
Post a Comment