Sunday, May 25, 2008

Refreshed.

On Friday night I got a really big gift -
Daryl "kicked" me out of the house and told me I wasn't allowed coming back until Saturday! He knew I was extremely tired, and needed a break from real life. What a man, eh? :-)

So, I know some of you (Rhonda, in particular) will be wondering how I spent my time, so here it is:
When I left the house, I went to the bank, and when I was done, I literally SAT in the car, wondering what to do. I determined that I wouldn't run any errands, or call any friends. (I had even offered that I could look for a babysitter so that Daryl could join me for breakfast, but he refused.)

I didn't feel like sitting in a restaurant alone, and it was a beautiful evening. So I got a sub (you better believe it was a footlong, and I ate the entire thing), and went to the park.
Then I went and checked in at a hotel, and I couldn't believe how awkward I felt. It was SO strange to be alone. I just sat on the bed for awhile, thinking about how I would spend my time.

I read and prayed for awhile ( The Power of a Praying Parent), and got deeply convicted about the way I pray for my kids. I really want to pray for them more often, and in more detail. I am convinced this will make a huge difference in my parenting. I've always known it's important, but I'm determined to be committed to it.

Anyway, when I pulled out my Bible at 8:40, I couldn't even keep my eyes open, so I fell asleep. I woke up an hour later and thought I'd at least watch some TLC, but I felt so foggy I couldn't even do that for more than 30 minutes! I slept blissfully (on my feather pillows, baby!) and woke at 6:15! I did fall back to sleep, but couldn't stay in bed longer than another hour. Funny how your body adjusts to waking up at a certain time.

I ate breakfast at the hotel (toaster waffles will always taste good to me), and spent some more time reading and praying. I read through part of a book on container gardening and wrote out some plans for my pots this summer.
I didn't get any "real" coffee at the hotel, so I went to Starbucks and sat alone just thinking and writing. Wonderful.

I then headed to the greenhouse to pick up my plants. When I came home, Daryl had taken the girls for a walk, so I had another hour here, potting my plants in silence. :-)
Needless to say, we had a great day together, working outside, getting some sun, and being together. We ended up getting rocks for the flower beds (I'm going to do rocks and pots), but we didn't get that done yet.

Big Sigh.
It's been a great weekend so far.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that is awesome! i know you deserve it.

Anonymous said...

ditto to what karla said. way to go, daryl. believe me, i'll be showing this to my husband. hee hee.

Anonymous said...

Wow..... good for you, and good for Daryl. You sound about as lost as I felt recently when I only had two kids for a couple of days! I think I could easily sleep in later than you did though!

Jenni said...

that's amazing! you'd better believe we'll all be sending our husbands over here for some inspiration! :-)

Sabrina said...

awesome. I'm wondering how I can drip a hint to Jeremy. :) How did Emilie do without you? Post picture of your rocks and pots!

LaRonda said...

That is wonderful! I am so glad you had some time away. Yes, I would love to see pictures of your pots and rocks.

Anonymous said...

I recently told a friend that I think the ultimate Mother's Day gift would be a night alone in a nice hotel with a stack of books and an even bigger stack of Dove Dark Chocolates. . . I'm trying to figure out how to make that happen and still be surprised! I'll send my husband to your blog. I hope the refreshment lasts a long time. . .