Monday, August 31, 2009

Sadly, no pictures...

Something happened to my camera while we were in PEI, and I have zero pictures of our trip. It's rather sad, since this was a pretty big holiday for us.

We camped at a great campground, and had a wonderful time. Of course, it wasn't all total relaxation, since camping with 4 kids isn't exactly relaxing. But it was just nice to be away from "real" life for a week, and just focus on eachother. We swam in the campground's pool, hung out by the fire, biked, found a new beach, ate ice cream, and we surprised the kids by taking them to a water/theme park one day. If it had been more than 17C, you would have been hard pressed to get me off the waterslides :-) But alas, it was freeeeezing cold at the top, and it was actually pleasant to get into the cold water to escape the wind. Oh well, we all had a great time.
Actually, I think the highlight of the park for Daryl and I was the topsy turvy cabin. Okay, bear with me... It was a small cabin that was jacked up on only one side, but looked normal from the outside. When you walked into the cabin, it looked like the water inside (coming from a tap) was running uphill, and everything threw your balance off. It was CRAZY. Daryl and I laughed until we cried. The girls didn't find it so funny, but we stood inside, trying to figure out why it felt like the room was moving. You could also stand "straight" up, and when you did, it looked like you were leaning back until you would fall right over. But you wouldn't. Oh man, I think you had to be there. It was amazing how your eyes and brain are so trained to think and see one way, that when you are standing inside a place like that, you really can't imagine how you are not seeing things the way they really are. It still makes me dizzy and almost nauseaus to think of it.

Anyway, now we are back to real life...Daryl is back at work, and the girls start school on Wednesday. We are invited to a waffle party with some friends for one last fling before school starts.

Today I'm baking rye bread (with Manitoba rye that I brought along) for the 2nd time in my life. The first recipe I tried wasn't great, so I'm trying a new one. If anyone has tips on baking rye bread, please pass them on. It's totally different (in my opinion) than baking whole wheat bread.
So far my dough looks great...so we'll see. It's rising right now.

I have to mention one more thing. The other day I caught Emilie hiding, eating a slice of bread that she had buttered herself with a paring knife. Crazy kid is not even 2 yet.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Robyn.
Glad to hear you guys had a great time! Bummer about your camera though.
The room you stayed in sounds really cool!
Are the girls excited about starting school? how do you feel about it?
JennW

Robyn said...

We didn't actually stay there, it was a thing at the theme park. I think I would have gone crazy trying to sleep in a place like that!

angie said...

Oh, I thought you meant you stayed in that cabin too. I was going to comment that it sounds like those optical illusion things you find at science discovery centers or theme parks!

Glad you had a good holiday. Too bad about your camera, though.

I'd like to hear about your rye bread experience. I made some AGES ago. I have some rye flour that I bought so long ago I wonder if it's still good, and I keep thinking I should make some rye bread. Maybe you will inspire me.

Robyn said...

I just ate 3 (three) pieces of warm rye bread. Let's just say I think it turned out okay. I used rye that I milled today, so I can't say how long I think it stays fresh. I always freeze what I don't use right away. Flour ratios were 4C rye, 2 C whole wheat, 2 C white. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Rhonda said...

that stinks about your camera!! are you getting a new one? i can recommend one. :D

i can't believe emilie is big enough to butter bread!!!! i forget she's almost 2.

that bread sounds sooo good.

Sabrina said...

I wish we could get Emilie and Nathan together. They's be trouble!

I'd love the rye bread recipe. I've never had rye bread as good as Jim and Barb's from the bakery. they used to bring me a loaf when they'd visit. It was great.

rachelslab said...

That cabin thing sounds so cool! Haha Sabrina - I forgot about you and toasted rye bread. Now I'm remembering.