Valentine's Day. I love it.
Aside from the history of it, I love the fact that there's a special day set aside for love. And, I have to admit, I'm a sucker for all the red and pink stuff in the stores. I know some of it is oh-so-tacky, but I like it. :-)
If I had the time, I would go crazy making desserts and decorating with hearts. Instead, we settled for attending Heart Disease Awareness Week (or something), combined with a Valentine's party at Daryl's work. At least I got to bake Mocha Truffle Brownies, which were fun to make, and a pleasure to eat. :-)
The kids had a great time standing in front of a HUGE table filled with sweets (and fruit) and picking whatever they wanted. (Yes, even Adrienne! Only her choices were slightly guided by Mommy.)
To celebrate all the love, Daryl and I cooked a special meal of linguine, Alfredo sauce, and chicken. The girls had a great time setting the table with crystal wine glasses, candles and our good dishes. Daryl and I served them individual salads and bread to start, and we enjoyed a VERY quiet and well-behaved table full of girls. Even Emilie was quiet. The girls pretended they were at a fancy restaurant and just thought it was the greatest.
Daryl was such a good sport about joining into a "formal" dinner with us, and I was very thankful for a fun hubby who doesn't think he's too macho for that. :-) After supper he made the girls steamed milk and we had lattes.
The girls had such fun and used such wonderful table manners (a rare occurrence around here) that I think I'm going to do this once a month...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
I wonder if this would work for a table full of boys!?
Sounds like fun! My boys didn't even know the day was special. :( I love all the red and pink stuff too. For the rest of they year I do not like anything with hearts on it such as decorations or jewelry, but on V-day -bring it on Baby!
Sounds fun, and it's fun to picture it in my mind. Just letting you know I read your blogs too. Love you...
Dad
very nice. i realized this year that i really love valentine's day, too. especially i love that it's another excuse to make sugar cookies. :) do you have pictures of your fancy dinner?
Yes, I was going to ask about pictures as well. I'm really glad this all worked out for you. I had very (very very very??) high hopes of a wonderful and romantic Feb. 14th and well... sigh... things just didn't go according to plan. Next year, we're going out I believe. = I
I was wondering the same thing...if I had boys would I still do this? But I think it could be a really good idea. After all, someday they might want to take a girl to a nice restaurant and they'll need to know which fork to use! :-) I do have pics, the question is, will I get around to posting them...
Sounds FUN! OUr kids LOVE when we have fancy meals. Andrea runs for the table cloth, the boys get down the goblets and fight to light the candles. Now if only I could get them to enjoy it all in relative silence. Our kids ALL like to talk. Sigh. Wonder where they got that from?
Hi Robyn,
Great pics! Great whale cake!
I am on my lunch break right now, and I stopped at my desk to pray for you.
I hope you have a great week!
I miss you.
Jenn
Post a Comment