Okay, I know I'm a little behind the health-food-times, but I just tried steel cut oats for the first time. If you like oatmeal for breakfast, you will love them. The first time I made them, we just cooked them on the stove top, and they were so yummy. Then I looked around on the web and saw that a lot of people cook them in the crock pot all night.
It takes about 25 minutes to cook them on the stove, but I like that method better. Anyway, since it's nice to have breakfast prepared when you get up, here is how to cook them in the crock pot:
-Put 4 C water into a small bowl that will fit inside your crock pot.
-Add a bit of vanilla, a lot of cinnamon, and some brown sugar if you want.
-Put in 1 C steel cut oats (DO NOT use rolled oats or quick oats or you will have MUSH)
-Put some water into the crock pot.
-Place the bowl inside, in the water.
-Turn on low and let cook about 6 hours.
-Eat it with fresh or frozen berries, raisins, maple syrup, nuts...the options are endless!
- NOTE: This makes a lot of oats. You can it back, just remember the ratio!
Now, I go to bed around 10:30, so my oats get a little overcooked. (I wish I had a timer on my crock pot so that I could set it for about midnight.) 6 hours, I think, would be perfect.
It is wonderful to come into the kitchen and smell the beauty :-)
P.S. Besides being very healthy, this is a very inexpensive breakfast. It costs about 30 cents to feed this to our whole family!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
sounds great! couldn't you get one of those timers that plug into the outlet? you know, like mom and dad plug their christmas tree into?
My crockpot would cook them in 3 hours. :( thanks for the suggestion! Are these a lot better for you then regular oat meal? Can you buy them in the grocery store? Keep posting about food and recipes!
sounds good, but where do you buy them?? i don't think they have them at our grocery store.
I just might try that.
I usually stay up till midnight.
But I sure don't get up at 6pm.
All crock-pots should have timers...you should invent that.
Jenn
i meant to say 6am.
oops
Jenn
My in-laws swear by steelcut oats!!(they really don't swear) they have eaten that for 40(my guess) years every morning,even if they go out for breakfast they eat those at home first. We get it here at a bulk food store.
My word is milet, isn't that ceral also?:)
Twila
Jenni - I buy them at the Bulk Barn. I pay a little over a dollar for about 4C. If you get to the city it's worth a trip to the BB. I love it.
I love oatmeal and I keep hearing about the health benefits of steel cut oats but I've never tried them. I'm headed to the store this afternoon so I just might pick some up! Thanks for the idea!
I made the oats in my crock pot last night and we all had them for breakfast this morning. Really good. . .my kids loved them! They were slightly overcooked. They were in my crockpot about 8 hours. I'm thinking about mixing everything up earlier in the evening,putting it in the fridge and then taking it and turning it on right before bed. Maybe starting with really cold ingredients will slow the cooking a little. Maybe I'll even add some ice to the cooking water. I'll do some experimenting and let you know.
Thanks Vicki. I thought about the ice cubes too. I think putting them in the surrounding water could do the trick. If I stayed up until 1 am it would work too... not this girl.
Robyn, I know you may think this is unsafe, but your Granny has made them for years in a reg. kettle on the stove top just before going to bed. I'll have to ask her how long she cooks them before turning off the burner. She leaves them sitting there all night and when she wakes up she reheats them for their breakfast!
Post a Comment