Thursday, February 26, 2009

Yesterday we were planning a trip to the museum. I told the girls the previous day's laundry had to be folded and put away before we could leave. (Don't worry, I was helping them!) Anyway, after much bad behaviour, and many warnings and threats, I had to cancel our little outing. Oh boy. It was as much a disappointment for me as it was for them, I think.

So, next decision: It is a beautiful day. We absolutely cannot stand to sit inside. What do I do? I can't go back on my word, but we must get out. Okay, a trip to the "park". Much groaning ensued, because the "park" sounded boring after thinking about going to a "hands-on" museum.

I packed a lunch and we ate in the van on the way to the park. The park turned out to be more like a forest, with very wide walking trails. It was beautiful. I was so glad to find out it wasn't a manicured lawn with play grounds everywhere.

When we got to the ocean, there was a nice surprise waiting for us. There were about 6-7 seals lounging on the rocks! We couldn't see them well enough to know if they were grey seals or harbour seals, and I forgot to grab the binoculars on the way out. I was ticked at myself. But we watched them for awhile, and also found some other treasures.

Anyway, needless to say, I think it was providential that we ended up at the park instead of the museum! The girls had a great time building dams in the melting snow-streams, and Emilie was happy to take everything in from her ride on my back.
It was such a beautiful day...One of those days that makes you hopeful that one day spring will be here for real.

6 comments:

Matthew and Rhonda said...

very, very cool. and now i am more determined than ever that we will visit you someday!! :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! Seals! So cool!
Glad to hear you are enjoying the great outdoors and the beautiful scenery.
It's -36 with the wind here today. I am really starting to feel the winter blues.
Jenn

Anonymous said...

Wow... sounds like it was a glorious way to spend the day!

Sabrina said...

Way to go Mom on sticking to your word!! I have been trying the same idea around here. So far the only thing that Isaiah didn't get to do was play ball with me, but let me tell you, he understood! I felt so badly for him, but I think it worked. Great pictures by the way!

rachelslab said...

Yes,thanks for the great pictures. I love seeing where you're at and what you're up to. Side note - according to mapquest, we live only 36 hours, 37 minutes apart. I actually would have thought it was a lot farther than that - only 8 hours longer than it takes us to get to Red Lake. Not bad, eh?

Rita said...

I'm so proud of you for sticking to your word. A few of those times, and you should start seeing great results.
The scenery is so amazing and we can't wait to help you enjoy it.